It’s a busy time of year. Folks often ask is it a good idea to put my house up for sale during the holidays, or should I wait? Below are some pros and cons for selling during the holiday season that may help you make the right choice.
- You are a serious seller – Keep it on the market during this festive time because the buyers will know you are serious.
- Reduced inventory – over the holidays generally means less competition. If you live in an area with a milder climate, you will benefit from the lack of inventory on the market through the holidays.
- The hard-to-sell home – With the reduced inventory your house will be at the top of the list instead of the bottom.
- Lowball Offers – Buyers might try to negotiate, or give you a lowball offer thinking you are desperate.
- Inconvenient – Not everybody wants to keep his or her house spic and span when cooking, wrapping gifts, and throwing parties.
- Smaller Inventory – You’re appealing to a much smaller inventory of buyers who have specific needs that your home might not match.
- Difficult to Close – It’s almost impossible to close a financed transaction in December if the offer is received mid-month. Buyers who want to close after the New Year will probably make offers in January.
Tip: As a general rule, Minimizing decorations will make your home feel larger and keep the house looking tidy. When buyers enter your home, you want them to imagine putting their furniture in each room, making it theirs, and they can’t do that if your holiday decorations dominate the stage.
We are here to help! Contact us and let’s chat about selling your home this holiday season!