Making a big move with children can seem like a daunting task. There are new friends to make, possibly a change of schools, and new bedrooms to get used to! We’ve rounded up 10 of our favorite tips to make moving with your kids as easy as possible.
- Pack up your child’s toys while they are asleep (but leave one box of toys until the very end!).
- Keep your child’s belongings separate and organized by using a different colored duct tape for each child. You’ll know exactly who belongs to which box with a quick glance!
- Let your child help decorate their new room. Give them three “parent-approved” paint color choices to choose from to let them feel like they have a say without picking something crazy.
- Find a fun playground or restaurant in your new neighborhood to visit even before you move (if possible!). This creates a sense of excitement and shows your children how fun your new part of town will be!
- Pack a “moving day bag”. Let your children keep a special toy or fun activities out and in an easily accessible bag that will give them things to keep them occupied while the adults are working.
- Keep a positive attitude. Children will feed off of your energy. If you can stay positive and excited about the move, they will be too! Think of this as a fun, new adventure for your family.
- Create a “moving day plan” and talk about it a lot before the big day arrives. This will help relieve some of your child’s anxiety when they know what to expect!
- Let your kids help with the move. Children love to be a part of the action. Let them dust, pack a box, or sweep!
- Say “goodbye” to your old house and then say “hello!” to your new home! This small gesture is big for younger children.
- Most of all, listen to your children and their concerns. Even the youngest of children can have a hard time adjusting during a move.
If you’re ready to make a move with your family, we are ready to help! Contact us here to find your dream home!